Buy Mercury Parts
Buy Mercury Marine Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Computer driven engine shutdown 2005 Optimax 225 EFI ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer driven engine shutdown 2005 Optimax 225 EFI ?

My 2005 Optimax 225 EFI runs great each trip for 20 minutes to 1 hour. Then it starts running rough, followed by dying. It will re-start 3 times, but each time runs only seconds. Then after that it will not start again. I have been told different stories by different mechanics and dealers. It seems to me that the engine is being shutdown by the computer because of some out of sort parameter being monitored by the computer. I have had the computer read by a dealers mechanic, and no helpful information was provided. I have tested the fuel pressure and air pressure, both are normal. I am suspect of the oil sensor (inside the small oil bottle mounted inside the engine cowling). The question that I need answered is, WILL THE COMPUTER ACTUALLY SHUTDOWN THE ENGINE IF IT THINKS IT IS OUT OF OIL???? All the owners manual states is that by turning the key off and on the computer is reset. Is that true. Where can I get these types of questions answered?
    Please help me. I have spent many hours and many trips to the lake to try and get to the base of this problem. I believe an owner should have that type of information. It could be life saving to know what the computer is doing and for what reasons.
    Thanks for your help. I am completely bewildered and frustrated.

Kent
    Last edited by kentbiesinger@comcast.net; 05-18-2010, 11:38 PM. Reason: spelling

Are you getting any alarms or has anyone told you it was in Guardian mode? Is the engine still "broke" when you take it in or does it act correctly? Check your engine cable connections as loose(high resistance) connection will play havoc with the "puter" as will a failing fuel pump..

Comment

Working...
    X