Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 60 HP EFI Bigfoot - Fuel Delivery Problem

My apologies for the long story.....

My wife and I put our pontoon in yesterday. It had 15 gallons of fresh fuel in the 26 gallon tank, oil,etc. The fuel line connection from the tank to the housing was off for the winter. I made sure it was on, backed her into the water and told her to fire it up to warm up. Crank and no start mulitple times. I got on and primed the bulb 4 or 5 times. Nothing. Getting ready to pull it out she realized she tried to start it without the saftey tab under the post. Put it on and it fired up immediately.

I always have her drive around in circles for a few minutes after we get it in just to be sure everything is ok. After receiving the thumbs up I took the trailer back to the house. 20 minutes later I started to worry, went in to check for voice messages only to find that it had died a mile from the launch. First issue in 7 yrs of ownership.

A quick inspection showed that it would start then die. There was no fuel showing in the small filter housing at the right rear of the engine (viewed from behind the boat). A few squeezes of the bulb and she fired up and ran for a little while. I started to hear a ticking so I gave the bulb another squeeze, ticking gone.

We decided to head back with me manning the bulb and she driving. Every 30 seconds or so (engine speed at 3500rpm) it would start to sputter so I would give the bulb 3 squeezes and all was well. We made it home this way.

Looking for the source of my fuel delivery problem ....

I can prime the system with the bulb, see the filter housing at the back of the engine fill and then watch it drain while idling until it finally dies a while after it appears empty (this happens much quicker under load obviously). I take this as an indication the pump and fuel plumbing after the filter are ok.

I have checked the vent (cap on and off) - good and clear
    I have checked the pick up tube and screen in the tank - good and clear.
    I have checked the check ball in the fitting at the top of the tank - moves freely with no build up showing. ( I can hear it buzz when I squeeze the bulb to prime the system.)
    I have checked the fuel filter in the housing above and it is clean (no deposits) and flows freely.

I am wondering where to go next (outside of an $$$ trip to the dealer). I am planning on replacing the line / bulb/connection from the tank to the motor but don't know this is the source of the issue.

There are no visible leaks.

I have not, am not able to check the fuel pressure but while running with fuel in the filter bowl there are no hesitations, sags, or lack of power.

Any suggestions on other diagnostic checks I can perform?

Thank you.

Start with a new fuel hose and primer bulb, hose may be collasped or deteriorated. Could be a bad fuel pump.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Mercury Outboard Parts
    MerCruiser Parts
    Force Outboard Parts
    Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X