Buy Mercury Parts
Buy Mercury Marine Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

converting tiller to remote...whats wrong here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• converting tiller to remote...whats wrong here?

I recently bought a 1979 Bass Tracker aluminum that came with a 1979 Mercury 40hp outboard. The previous owner bought it as a package deal, brand new, in 1979. The boat & motor were setup with remote steering. The 40hp needs some attention so I want to swap it with a 1969 Mercury 20hp (serial# 2659571). The 20hp has tiller steering. I bought a steering bracket (part# 34746A2) and installed it. Now, when I turn to port, the "knuckle" of the tiller arm eventually rubs the link arm, like there should be a little more clearance. It is kinda in the way of the fuel connector for the gas tank, also. The link arm looks different than most I've seen as where the arm is threaded and the "eye" that connects to the steering bracket can shorten or lengthen the link arm (threading it further on or further off). When I turn to starboard lock, the steering cable pops out of the steering tube about 1/8". Then I have to guide the cable back into the tube with my fingers for that 1/8" in order to turn port again. Was I too quick to assume the steering link arm was "somewhat" universal? Someone in another forum mentioned I might need a transom mount for the steering cable. Why? It feeds into the tube just fine. Is the steering tube too short (was installed on 20hp when I bought it)? Am I trying to use the wrong steering link arm? Can anyone tell me part numbers I need if my setup is wrong?
    Attached Files

Can't tell much from picture but do need to move link arm to second hole on bracket you installed on motor.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Mercury Outboard Parts
    MerCruiser Parts
    Force Outboard Parts
    Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

Here's updated pics including where I moved the link arm to the other hole on the steering bracket. I circled the two areas I'm most concerned about.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Drindin; 04-23-2010, 12:13 PM. Reason: forgot to upload picture

Comment

After much research, measurements, and discussion w/ friends, I think we finally realized that a transom cable mount is the answer to it all. Thanks anyways.

Comment

Ok. I'm starting to lose it here... I was told yesterday by a "certified" marine mechanic that the older Mercury 20hp motors with tillers need a "special steering arm" when converting to remote steering and that the transom mount clamp wouldn't be necessary. I could end up spending a fortune and still not have what I need (maybe I should dump it all & get a couple of solid oars, instead). I can find nothing about this mysterious "special" arm while researching the Internet. Man, I need some answers that are FACTS...anyone? Please?

Comment

Hey were you ever able to find a solution for your problem??? I ve been looking for weeks too for the "special steering arm" and the bracket that goes attached under the tiller arm. Please let me know. Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X