X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spark plug looks like mig welder nozzle tip

Good day folks,

Serial Number:0c258848

My friend came to me with his 50 hp carb mercury 3 cylinder thinking he threw a rod or some other catastrophic failure.

I hand cranked the flywheel and found he had three consistent compression.

I removed the recently replaced spark plugs and found one had the cathode eroded and the it appeared to look like a nozzle of a MIG welder with deposits of probably aluminum.

I looked as best as I can at the piston. it had a little indication of what i would describe a fresh solder splatter visible (yes I know it had to come from somewhere)

We ran a quick dynamic compression test and they were 120-145 120 being the top cylinder (the one with the anomaly)... installed a serviceable spark plug, and it started right up and appeared to run smooth/normal.

I suspect a lean condition caused that cylinder to begin to destroy itself.

Question, How does mercury feed three cylinders a fuel air mixture using two carburetors?

What else could would cause that cylinder to melt down like that? The other two new spark plugs looked like new, relatively clean spark plugs that had about two hours on them.

Zach had replaced the center dot type spark plugs just before his overloaded weekend voyage with these NGK conventional type plugs that the local marine store looked up for that engine.

That is a sign of detonation usually from running too lean. Possible plugged passage or jets in carb or an manifold air leak.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Mercury Outboard Parts
    MerCruiser Parts
    Force Outboard Parts
    Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

thank you, I'll look into it further

Comment

Working...
      X