2001 200 HP Optimax not running right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 200 HP Optimax not running right

Last weekend while cruising in from a day of fishing my engine just stopped running and would not start back up. I had no problems all day or any precursors of anything failing. After cranking the engine for a while, it sounds like it wants to kick over and sometimes it does after a while, but when it does start it sounds like its straining and the RPMs rev up real high. I checked the compression in the cylinders today and all are between 90-110 psi. I have an inline fuel filter before the one in the engine and I have run about 150 gallons of fresh marina gas through it this season so its not water in the cylinders. The spark plugs have carbon deposits on them, but they do not indicate any problems to me. I recently replaced the fuel bulb and had the entire fuel system rebuilt about 4-5 years ago now.

I plan on checking the fuel pressure on the fail tomorrow. One of my friends had the idea that the engine is not getting any gas, so it is trying to run off of the 2 stroke oil only which would make sense, but does that explain the awful sound it is making? He also recommended checking the VST and the screens on the pumps inside the VST. Has anyone had a similar problem to this before and if so what was the problem? The good compression leads me to think it isnt an internal engine problem. Could it be the VST, fuel pump, coil packs, old spark plugs? It seems to be dumping blue 2 stroke smoke more than ever which makes me think it is getting excessive oil for some reason or it is rich on oil and lean on gas.

Here are videos of it cranking and running for a little:
    https://youtu.be/Qw4p6CFhxhA

https://youtu.be/93j-0JBu078

Need to start having fuel and air pressure checked to see if within specs.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Mercury Outboard Parts
    MerCruiser Parts
    Force Outboard Parts
    Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X