2010 50hp Mercury idles back down slow, help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 50hp Mercury idles back down slow, help please

I just purchased this outboard and took it out for the first time this past weekend.

I was told it hasn't been ran much in the last two years. It has 3 carbs.

It was a little hard to start, which I had cranked it when I put it on my boat, my boat has 20 year old remote and it has a steering wheel if that matters. I am assuming I have the throttle cable in the right position. Not only a little hard to start but when I went from forward back to neutral it was slow to idle back down. The slow to idle down is an issues especially when putting it on the trailer.

When we first put it in, it ran about 32 mph on the gps, well after running around on the lake a little while it was then running about 35 mph. I guess it was getting cleaned out?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank

Sounds like you linkage is responding slow or the butterfly are closing slow
    Have someone watch the butterflies as you move the throttle linkage

Comment

Originally posted by Jnielson View Post
      Sounds like you linkage is responding slow or the butterfly are closing slow
      Have someone watch the butterflies as you move the throttle linkage
      I will double check the linkage, seems like it doesn't do it every time.

Wonder what would cause butterflies to close slow?

Comment

Gummed up Butterfly shaft from Varnish or sticky Linkage will slow response
        Ie Dirty linkage cable
        Some people will oil these and then they collect dust and dirt
        grafight works best on the linkage

Or when you rebuilt the carbs use emery cloth to make sure no Burrs or gum is left on the shaft

Comment

Thanks, I will check the butterflies, the cables and remote are off the engine I just pulled off my boat and they were fine before putting this engine on my boat.

Comment

Raining all weekend so we look at linkage and think that was some of the problem, readjusted it and have the arm going back a lot farther and we oiled the linkage and it all seemed to help. We will see. Thank

Comment

Working...
            X