1993 2-stroke 50HP ELPTO new to me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1993 2-stroke 50HP ELPTO new to me

Hi, first post to the forum. Never had a Mercury before and newish to tinkering on outboards. I just bought a 20' party barge with a Mercury 50HP on the back.
    Serial #0D250899
    1993 2-stroke oil-injected carbureted 3-cyl power-tilt
    Engine cranks right up, but only runs full throttle for 10-15 seconds before slowing down and conking out. If I keep it around 2500rpm or below, it will usually run fine. Once I throttle any higher, it slowly dies. If I pump the primer bulb on the fuel line, that can keep it running at high throttle. It seems that it runs the smoothest when I pump the bulb wth quick shallow pressure.
    I have drained the carb bowls and plan on checking/changing the fuel pump and filter. How can I tell which pump I have? It looks gray, not black or red.

My other issue is that the power tilt up quick working. There is a button on the throttle lever as well as on the motor itself. I can hear the motor run when I push the down button, but get no response at all when I push either up button. It seemed to struggle when it did work.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Steve

The diaphragm kit is the same for both pumps 21-857005A, And it sounds like the solenoids or relays are giving out on the trim. If it is struggling you might have water in the pump motor

Comment

Thanks, Ski. Looks like your the one doing all the work on this site. I appreciate you being here. Keep up the good work.
      That's funny, I never even thought of comparing the part numbers.
      Any recommendations on which plugs to use? I was planning on replacing plugs and wires as the top wire is compromised and the others just look really old.

Comment

Working...
      X