1999 . hp Mercury Electric start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 . hp Mercury Electric start

Hi everyone / anybody. I've just purchased second hand immaculate 1999 model year 9.9HP 4stroke electric start Mercury outboard.It had Not been on a boat for some time but came complete with Fuel Tank, Remote controls, battery, 2 keys, operation Manuel and one owner from new. It started first time but flooded because the float needle stuck. I tapped float chamber with screwdriver and sorted that! Problem is it does not stop, turn key off, take key out, it keeps going, even kill switch doesn't work. I've changed kill switch and still no good. Engine is charging, all earths are good, pulling my hair (whats left of it) out now. The only way to stop it to disconnect the fuel and let it run dry. I've checked continuity of harness and there's definitely a continuous earth from remote to engine. Any help would be most appreciated. Also, It came with a large Oil Warning Light assembly and that is not connected at moment. Many thanks in anticipation. Pete

motor harness is probably misconnected

You need to get a wire diagram for the motor and remote and I would check all the connections. While you are in there you might want to clean all the connections if they don't look good. I have a 05 15hp 4 stroke and to kill it you have to short the wire to ground. You could choke it to kill it in a pinch.

Comment

Electric Start 9.9 HP

Hi there, many thanks. I've got a wiring diagram for the engine and remote.
      I've had the ignition switch and kill switch checked, they are fine. I've checked
      there is an earth and continuation of wires from the remote to the multi plug connector and continuity from each connection. I've even shorted out the Black and yellow wire to earth and even that doesn't stop themotor. It's got to be something very simple.

Comment

which end did you short

If you connect the black and black/yellow together it will kill your motor, but did you short the wires to the remote or the motor side wires. I don't think there is any other connection that could be open.

Comment

Hi, I've shorted the black and yellow directly to engine earth and it won't stop. I've disconnected the B&Y wire to the White wire that goes to the CDI unit and it still runs! baffled!

Comment

Working...
          X