1999 Merc manual pull start catching at idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 Merc manual pull start catching at idle

Sounds like the clutch for the manual pull start is catching at low RPMs at and near idle. Bump up the RPMs and it goes away.

I've never had this opened up and do not know if the manual pull start has ever been used. It is electric start 3 cyl oil injected 75 HP Merc.

Any ideas in what to look for?

Update!!

OK here is an update to the situation:

1) This motor is an electric start and has no pull start recoil. Manual start is a seperate cord that is would around flywheel and comes loose after pull - no recoil required.

2) Ran the motor in my driveway with muffs on and with cover off and only see 1 of 2 things that may be causing the issue (it did not make the clatter when out of the water). I'm thinking either the access cover for the oil reservoir may be rattling as the retaining clip is broken, or the shift linkage is in need of adjustment.

It is a clickity clack type of noise that if you heard it you would think it is a recoil sticking.

Again note that this is at low RPMs at or near idle in gear.

Any thoughts?

Comment

Is the shifting rigging out and what you hear is the gears catching?

Comment

shifting

I'm more leaning to the shift linkage needing to be adjusted as the cause. After looking at the motor running with the lid off that seems to be the main possibility.

Comment

more info

OK after some review this is what I found.

1) Prop is tight and no problem there
          2) Shifter linkage looks to be properly adjusted - will pay very close attention next time out - probably this weekend.
          3) When I pulled the top cover off the motor there is a glued in section that creates the vent opening on both sides and the rear of the cover. One side of this fiberglass section is rubbing against a plastic cover that covers a bunch of wiring. One of the glue joints was broken which would allow a rattle. I got some 3M 5200 urethane quick cure and reglued this joint. Gotta believe that this was the issue - if it was mechanical then I would think it would not be so sensitive to low RPMs.

I'll let you all know what happens after the next trip!

Comment

Access cover!!

Found it - it is the access cover to the oil reservoir vibrating like a SOB and clattering very loudly. Unfortunately for me the clip that retains the lid and holds it in place is broken and is part of the lid assembly - over $100!!!

A little black electric tape takes care of it.

Comment

Working...
            X