Need help getting this gem running!! 1996 75hp 3cyl. 2stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help getting this gem running!! 1996 75hp 3cyl. 2stroke

Hello I am stoked to be a first time boat owner and and part of this forum. I understand I have pretty much written a novel with whats to follow... I just want to provide as much info as possible to help understand what going on with this problem.

I have a 96 mercury 75 elpto 3 cylinder 2 stroke outboard motor. (Serial#0G394044). A little history on the boat… the original owner got it new in 96 and only took it out to the lake 5-6 times. Its been sitting in phoenix Arizona for over 8 years since last its last use. I recently picked it up a couple weeks ago trying to finally take vacation with it but I’m having issues trying to get it started and running. Any help or insight is greatly appreciated. Following are the steps I have taken day by day to resolve the issue.

Before trying to start the motor after its long hiatus I replaced the impeller with kit, spark plugs, fuel filter, fuel line with primer bulb and fitting connecter to outboard. Flushed out the old oil and poured new fresh oil. The gas tank had no gas in it but the bottom was covered in a black oil like residue (assuming that was the old gas composites). I decided to pour the Mercury fuel system cleaner along with 3 gallons of gas and let sit for a day to loosen the residue. The following day I pumped out almost all the gas/residue out of the tank. Came out dark brown and poured in about 4 gallons of new gas.

After all that I took a shot at starting it. Pumped the bulb until it got hard and after a few continuous cranks and carb cleaner spray in the intake I got it to run. Acceleration and reverse were responsive as well. Although, I turned into a human fuel pump as to keep it from dying I had to keep pumping the bulb. This gave me hopes that it didn’t need much more work other than a fuel pump.

Well, the following day I picked up a fuel pump diaphragm rebuild kit. Took apart the old one and all-old components looked fine and all together. Rebuilt the fuel pump with all new gaskets and after installing it all went downhill from there. After installing the pump I pumped the bulb waiting for it to get really firm like the first time and after pumping for a while all the fuel poured out of the lower exhaust chamber and some from the intake. Along with fuel a mix of water and smoke came out of the lower unit as well during attempting to start. When I hold the throttle open it runs really rough almost like its misfiring and as soon as I let the throttle close the motor dies.

I know I flooded the carbs so I decided to take apart the three carbs and clean them out. Took all the pieces to the carbs apart and sprayed out with carb cleaner. Float, needles, and screws all looked fine. Pieced all back together and installed all components back as they were.

After all this I pumped the bulb but hesitant to flood it and again no luck with starting. Let sit for a day and decided to mess with the enricher fuel valve component and the key push button (thinking it’s the choke). Sounds like the enricher works because I can hear it click when I press the key push button. After that I bypassed the fuel pump. I connected a fuel line from the fuel filter to a bucket of fuel and amazingly it ran for a minute or two until it died on its own. Tried to start back up again and now it just keeps cranking without start while still spitting out a little fuel, smoke, water, and or oil out the bottom of exhaust chamber.

I checked all my fuses and they look fine. The emergency shut off switch with the lanyards is attached. I purchased a mercury service manual to help me along the way. I have worked on cars so I am able to work my way around a motor. I am just so lost and frustrated on what I should do next. Please help me so I can finally take some time away from my busy schedule and hit the beautiful water and fish. Again, I apologize for the long story about all this, just figured the more info the better to diagnose a problem. Thank you for your time.

Need to recheck fuel pump is assemble correctly, check to see if all cylinders are firing. Check to see if carbs are flooding when have it running.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Mercury Outboard Parts
    MerCruiser Parts
    Force Outboard Parts
    Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X