1989 Mariner 115 Fuel Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1989 Mariner 115 Fuel Issue

Purchased a 1989 Dyna Trak 160 SS with a 1989 Mariner 115. The previous owner told us it had not been used in over a year. Had to replace the waterpump first, added new plugs and I also pulled the carbs and went through each of them. I replaced the fuel filter, pulled the gas tank and cleaned it as well. Put a new primer bulb and line too. I set the idle needles at the recommended 1 1/2 turns out. Just to be on safe side, I preformed a compression check, each cylinder showed 115 lbs.
    Took to lake. It ran great on top end, 5200 rpm, but was sluggish out of hole. I ran it for the day just to get good fuel through it, took it out again, warmed up and adjusted the idle needles out another 1/4 turn and you could hear the difference. However, it still had the low end hesitation but not like before.
    Yesterday, I went to lake to fish, boat did real well until later in day, I was on plane and it started bogging down and finally went dead. I restarted, and it just wouldn't go, it kept bogging down. I checked the fuel filter, it was empty, so I pumped primer and filled it again, fuel drained out of filter, but it did start again and I ran at about 3000 rpm for a while until it bogged down again.
    At home, I put my other primer bulb on just to eliminate that possible problem, it worked fine, but fuel drained out of filter almost immediately. I did get it started, and gas & oil came out of the exhaust. Also black looking oil came out of vents in lower unit as well. I am assuming a flooded situation. I removed the fuel filter, it was clean, but i replaced it.
    Once started I noticed air coming from a hole underneath the fuel pump, almost like a vacuum leak, I held my hand over it but it did not make a difference. I did notice when it was running that fuel was NOT steadily in the fuel filter.

Now, all of this comes to my questions. Number one: I assume with engine running, there should be fuel in the filter, right?
    Number 2: If there is not enough fuel, would this indicate a fuel pump issue? I believe this is the problem.
    Number 3: If fuel pump needs rebuilding, should you go ahead and replace the check valve too?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks for letting me explain everything.

Sounds like need to remove and clean carbs and fuel pump, rebuild as needed.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Mercury Outboard Parts
    MerCruiser Parts
    Force Outboard Parts
    Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X