Oil reservoir lid gasket problem 75 HP Merc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil reservoir lid gasket problem 75 HP Merc

I have a 1999 75 HP Oil Injected merc with the rectangular shaped fill lid. The gasket attached to the lid is too short to seal properly and as a result leaks when the oil level is high and I tilt the motor. I believe the gasket is P/N 8220612, but I need to be sure if I get a replacement that I won't run into the same issue. Anyone heard of this issue?

Also, if I do get a new gasket which is longer, what adhesive should I use??

Replacing gasket would be first thing to try, don't use any sealant at all.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Mercury Outboard Parts
    MerCruiser Parts
    Force Outboard Parts
    Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

gasket info

Do you know if and where I can get actual length of the oem gasket 8220612? As said upon looking at the one on the motor now it is noticeably shorter than it should be (say 3/16" to 1/4" short) and the sealing surface of the reservoir is exposed on one end.

I'm not buying another one that is exactly the same as the one I have as it will result in the same problem with incomplete seal and ultimately more leaks when the motor is tilted up with tank fairly full.

When I'm talking sealant I mean to attach/hold the gasket to the lid. Does the gasket have double sided tape on it or is it glued on?

If I can get to it tonight I'll take a picture and post it here.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Me...%29/parts.html

The link above is the schematic on the tank and gasket (item 3). THe gasket I have is basically a rectangle and it is shorter than it should be so one end of the rectangle does not extend past the edge of the opening of the fill area.
      Last edited by mojorisin'; 06-11-2014, 02:25 PM.

Comment

No Mercury doesn't list measurments of gasket, Get serial number from outboard and look up part number per serial to get right one, anything yo put on gasket could get into oil system and result in serious engine damage.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Mercury Outboard Parts
        MerCruiser Parts
        Force Outboard Parts
        Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
        X