2005 115 4 stroke telltale issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 115 4 stroke telltale issue

I recently hooked up my mufflers and attempted to get my motor started for spring. I noticed water coming out of the front of the cowling and removed the cover to see water squirting out of a small nipple that is pointed directly at the motor tilt switch on the cowling. Water squirts out as soon as I run the motor and little or no water is coming out of the Telltale. A tube that runs to the telltale is also attached perpendicular to this nipple at the same place as the nipple. Should there be a cap on this nipple? What is the purpose of this nipple? I am afraid to run the motor because lots of water is running into the motor area.

Thanks

There should be a hose connected to all nipples on water hoses, should be a tee with hose from fuel cooler, hose to tell tale and hose going down into drive shaft housing.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Mercury Outboard Parts
    MerCruiser Parts
    Force Outboard Parts
    Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

2005 115 hp, 4 stroke Salt Water Series

There is a hose that comes from the telltale that splits with a T. One part of the T goes up to the top of the motor, the other part goes to this plastic attachment on the side of the motor just opposite the switch on the tilt trim switch on the cowling. The Telltale hose connects to this plastic connection which has two nipples, one of which goes down into the lower part of the motor, and the other is the one that I was referring to that sticks perpendicular out from the motor with no hose or anything attached to it. There are no unattached hoses. When I run the motor, water squirts out of this nipple (some water gets out of the telltale but not much), a large part of the water squirts out this nipple right on the tilt switch soaking it. Water starts to fill up the space below the motor. If I tilt the motor up, the water drains out. I cannot find any pictures or anything that shows this nipple. Could it possibly be something that a hose could be attached to run water in the motor externally without the use of the mufflers??

Comment

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
        There should be a hose connected to all nipples on water hoses, should be a tee with hose from fuel cooler, hose to tell tale and hose going down into drive shaft housing.
        There is a hose that comes from the telltale that splits with a T. One part of the T goes up to the top of the motor, the other part goes to this plastic attachment on the side of the motor just opposite the switch on the tilt trim switch on the cowling. The Telltale hose connects to this plastic connection which has two nipples, one of which goes down into the lower part of the motor, and the other is the one that I was referring to that sticks perpendicular out from the motor with no hose or anything attached to it. There are no unattached hoses. When I run the motor, water squirts out of this nipple (some water gets out of the telltale but not much), a large part of the water squirts out this nipple right on the tilt switch soaking it. Water starts to fill up the space below the motor. If I tilt the motor up, the water drains out. I cannot find any pictures or anything that shows this nipple. Could it possibly be something that a hose could be attached to run water in the motor externally without the use of the muffs??

Comment

Can you post a picture of it?
          Regards
          Boats.net
          Mercury Outboard Parts
          MerCruiser Parts
          Force Outboard Parts
          Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

I was getting ready to take a picture and noticed down in the area below the motor, a small black rubber cap. I fished it out with a long tool and tried it on the nipple. It fit perfectly and fairly snug. I started the motor and viola, no squirting out and the telltale is shooting water as it should. I wish I knew what this nipple is for and why it blew off in the first place but I put a wire tie on it so it won't come off again. Thanks for the replies. Unless you think I shouldn't tie that rubber cap on securely, like it is some sort of safety device or something I guess we can end this thread. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
            X