Buy Mercury Parts
Buy Mercury Marine Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'94 Mercury 60 HP 3-Cylinder will not go into Reverse after Impeller Replacement.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '94 Mercury 60 HP 3-Cylinder will not go into Reverse after Impeller Replacement.

I have a 1994 Mercury Tracker Pro Series 60 HP 3-cylinder 2-stroke outboard (Not a Big-Foot) that I purchased brand new. I have replaced the Impeller for the second time. The first time was 10 years ago and everything went back together and worked just fine. Now, just last week I pulled the lower unit off again to replace the Impeller . I put the Shifter Handle into 'Forward' gear then proceeded to remove the lower unit. Replaced the Impeller and gaskets as well as the shaft Key-way. When I went to put the lower unit back on, it slid right into place and I thought the job was done. After starting the engine with muffs on, it only wants to go forward. In forward it goes forward as it should. Neutral gate is still neutral, but Reverse on the shifter handle is also forward now. I realize that I somehow have gotten the shift shaft out of its proper index. So my question is: How do I remedy this situation? Am I missing something obvious? I didn't want to keep trying before I know more about what I am doing. ANY help will be appreciated. Thanks!!

This has happened to several people I know...including myself. In every case the gears had pulled to get to the shift cam which had slipped out of position. It is about a 1-2 hour job, depending on the skill of the tech. My neighbor had that happen two weeks ago on his 3 cyl 90, the local shop charged him $75 ($45/hr labor) to correct the problem. I have changed my impeller 3-4 times and never had a problem, until...

Comment

Working...
    X