Buy Mercury Parts
Buy Mercury Marine Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wiring issue with an 1967 Merc 60 2-cyl?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring issue with an 1967 Merc 60 2-cyl?

I'm getting an outboard that I've rebuilt ready for the water, and one of the things I needed to change was the kill switch. Using a multi-meter, I traced the wires from the old, broken switch, to the distribution block. Everything had continuity. There are 4 screws on the block, each screw had continuity to every other screw.

I can't find a decent wiring diagram, so I'm not sure if this is correct, although it doesn't feel right. (it has been about half a decade since I worked on a points ignition system, and that was a car, not an outboard)

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a motor this old? I have bought a couple different manuals, and I think that I found the correct wiring diagram, but it is difficult for me to read.

Alternately, I can't find a stock switch that is in good enough condition to use, is there an alternate part number I can use? Is there an off-the-shelf style switch I can use (such as a regular single-pole, single-throw switch?)

I don't have a manual that goes back that far, if it has the old impulse mag then probably have to ground out the points to shut engine off.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Mercury Outboard Parts
    MerCruiser Parts
    Force Outboard Parts
    Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
      I don't have a manual that goes back that far, if it has the old impulse mag then probably have to ground out the points to shut engine off.
      Yeah, from what I've been able to find, that's what I need to do. I have to prevent the two coils from connecting to each other, though, so a double-pole double-throw switch is what I'll need if I can't find stock parts.

Comment

Working...
      X