Disconnect auto oiler 60 hp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disconnect auto oiler 60 hp

Massive oil leakage between/at oil pump and hoses. May have damaged engine, but would like to disconnect auto oiler, as many have also done. How does one disconnect the auto oiler system on a '96 Merc 60 hp, Model#1060412 SD, Ser#OG291XXX. The oil reservoir is engine mounted. Do I need a kit from Mercury, or can I do it with garage parts? The pump probably needs removal for me to stop up or find the mass leakage. But whether I find the leak or not, I'd like to switch over to pre-mixing. (One quarter of a tank of oil leaked down the back of the engine in about 4 hrs.) Tank and reservoir tubing is dry up to the oil pump, but before investigating further I'd like to know how to disconnect the entire auto oiler system. But this would only bring me to the point of test starting to see if the engine was damaged.

Mercury doesn't offer a block off plate to cover hole in block where oil pump is mounted, might search to see if any aftermarket ones are available.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Mercury Outboard Parts
    MerCruiser Parts
    Force Outboard Parts
    Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

There is a couple of ways to do it, One is to pull the pump bearing and remove the drive gear and reinstall the pump, the other is to take a piece of tubing and route the outlet back into the inlet. Fill the tube with oil so the pump has something to play with. You'll need to disconnect the oil tank switch. But why not just fix the leak? If it's leaking that fast it's probably a split line. A can of spray engine cleaner will do the trick for cleaning up the mess.

Comment

Thanks, I'll post what I find. Evidently these oil injection problems are common with many outboards.

Comment

So, I finally got to taking the parts apart. I still couldn't see where the leak was specifically, but I filled the hose w oil and blew threw it and it was leaking profusely from the bottom of the pump where there are no hose fittings. So, the only tings left are the O rings. There's an O ring on the pump that must mate w the O ring on the casting of the 60hp motor. The rings didn't look particularly bad, no chunks missing or splits that would make the unit leak profusely. Also the inline check valve was a bit difficult to blow thru, so that might be part of the problem. So my plan, now, is to replace both O rings and the inline check valve and try to start it. Any ideas, and does Merc sell these parts?

Comment

Working...
          X