1996 60 hp 2 stroke Merc starting problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 60 hp 2 stroke Merc starting problems

We just tried to start my 60 hp outboard after setting idle 2 yrs. The following items are noted:
    The 3 carbs are flooded and there's gas rapidly dripping out of a previously drilled hole in the plate just above the lower end unit. i'm presuming this is merely because the carbs are flooded. I lost my manual so I have to do a lot of guessing here.

There seems not to be spark.

Two of the spark plugs were totally wet w gas, The middle was badly corroded. The plug wire contact on the middle plug was also corroded at the plug end.

I cleaned corrosion on plug and wire, and dried off all, but no start. It turned over but not even a wimper of a pop.

I'm not much of a mechanic. But the symptoms seem to show a sticky float on the carb (old gas in lines, new gas in tank) coupled with no spark at all. This 60 hp had good compression and not a lot of hrs prior to all this and I hate to give up on it. Truthfully, the trim also doesn't want to bleed the air out, but that's another subject. OG29 is 1st 4 digits of serial #.

Any ideas? I guess I could trade it in to a rebuild shop for a 40 hp and more cost, but then I'd probably just be getting someone else's problems.
Working...
X