Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1968 Mercury 200 (20 HP) Has No Reverse

No revers, forward and neutral OK.
    Mechanic said he could no longer get parts for this old unit. I think he just didn't want to bother.
    He claims that the shift shaft bushing is bad. I would think that there is more wrong than just a bushing.
    We dropped the lower end to expose the shafts. The shift shaft spins freely and completely around. Shouldn't it have some sort of detents or stops where forward, neutral and reverse are?
    We pulled the shift shaft out and it appears slightly rusted but not too bad. The splines seem good on either end.
    How do I get to the lower parts that the shift shaft actually control?
    I'm an auto mechanic, looking at this out board for a friend. I''m not that familiar with these units.
    Thanks,
    Joe

You will need to disassemble the gearcase completely to gain access to the Cam.
    The cam is controlled by the shift shaft as it spins.

You need to remove the pinion gear and forward gear first. Take off the pinion nut, slide out the driveshaft and remove the pinion...followed by the forward gear.

There is a special tool required to remove the shift shaft retainer bolt at the top of the shift shaft on the gearcase.
    Once its removed the shaft pulls out and allows the cam to be removed.

Some of these parts though NLA can still be obtained from dealers. Let me know if you need further assistance here

http://www.themarinedoctor.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl

The Marine Doctor

Comment

OK!
      I appreciate the assistance.
      I will let you know how I make out.
      Thanks very much,
      Joe

Comment

Thinking back....you will not need the special tool to remove the shift shaft retainer...should just be a square screw as the retainer.

TMD

Comment

Working...
        X