1987 Mercury 60 horse water pump replacement help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1987 Mercury 60 horse water pump replacement help

I have watched several you tube videos of mercury water pump replacement procedures but none are there for the 60 horse. This is the three cylinder model. I only have 1 nut on each side of the lower unit and one in the very back. 3 total I think. Another question and the main one is there a linkage nut or something I have to remove first to get the foot off. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Steve

Water pump

Hi there,

I've changed a pump on a 50 hp not to long ago, from what I understand you're asking how to remove the lower unit.

The only thing that should be in your way when removing the bottom is the drive shaft and the water tube (looks like a 1/2" copper pipe) once the three nuts are off. And remove the trim tab if you haven't.

There should be very little resistance taking out the lower unit once you removed the three nuts holding it in place. You can tap it with a rubber mallet to help it break the seal.

If it's not coming out chances are that the splines on the drive shaft are frozen to the motor splines. If that's the case I wish you luck, it's a heck of a job taking that off. There's probably threads in this forum that can give you pointers on how to remove it if it won't come off.

When you re-install it your manual should tell you how to re-align the reverse gear to the engine. (usually the reverse shaft stays in the upper unit when removed and should remain there.)

I hope this helps you out

Comment

Working...
    X