2005 25 hp mercury 2 stroke problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 25 hp mercury 2 stroke problem

I'm having issues with a motor I purchased a couple of weeks ago. I will be as detailed as possible. Primarily when the engine is hot and i put it in neutral it will shut down and becomes hard to start it will also develop a rough idle condition. I have to use choke lever when it's hot for it to start.. In addition the top cylinder is wetting the spark plug. I checked the fuel tank, line and pulled and cleaned carburetor. The timing is supposed to be 5 to 7 when I checked it it was set at 11. I set it to where it should be but couldn't get engine lit when I did so I put it back to 11. I was told that I might be having an ignition issue. I switched the coils around to see if the wetting moved to bottom cylinder but it didn't. In addition coils check out on resistance test. The other day while in the water i tried to throttle and the engine went into high rpm and didn't go. I thought it was the prop or gears but later on that evening tested out again and it was back to normal. The resistance test on stator and trigger check out but I am also aware that they could be bad and only show when the condition appears (which is when it's hot and in the water) the water pump is ok and opens at the correct temperature. Did compressions and they were good top cylinder 105 bottom 104. What could it be? What do I check next? It starts easily when cold and will initially runs fine until it warms up and the problems begin.
    Last edited by Vegaj02; 05-28-2013, 05:46 PM.

recheck compression when engine is warm. Check for fire on all cylinders with a timing light.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Mercury Outboard Parts
    MerCruiser Parts
    Force Outboard Parts
    Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X