water not pumping??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water not pumping??

Hello I have a 1984 9.8 mercury outboard motor. it runs great but started to have problems with pumping water unless you were at higher rpms and moving pretty fast the water would quit pumping out the pee hole on the side of the motor.

I currently bought and complete New water pump, new impeller and installed it on the lower unit. While I had it off i made a fitting to flush some water up through the copper tube that comes out of the water pump and up into the bottom of the engine. Its running clear and no blockage there or between the intake and the water pump.

I installed the lower unit back on and made sure the copper tube was in the water pump and the bottom of the motor. I started it up but still wont pump any water? Can anyone Please help me out with what I should look for next to fix the problem? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

Make sure you are running it in water and submerged depth enough that water pump is completely under water.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Mercury Outboard Parts
    MerCruiser Parts
    Force Outboard Parts
    Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

thanks for the info. I have it on the back of my boat in a barrel of water and it still wont pump any water. I have checked the impeller and intake and also the water out / pee hole and its all clear no blockages and still wont pump any water? Any other ideas or things to maybe try? thank you

Comment

Agian make sure water pump is completely submerged, water level should be about 8-10 inches above cavitation plate for water pump to pump water. If sure water pump is good and installed correctly then May have bad water tube or blockage in tube or passages in engine.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Mercury Outboard Parts
        MerCruiser Parts
        Force Outboard Parts
        Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
        X