submerged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• submerged

I went fishing yeserday and while I was out I tied up at a doc. I am unlcear about what happened, but the next thing I know water is coming in over the back of the boat. Within a minute the boat sank. Any advise on how to get the motor running again. I have a mid 70's Mercury 9.8. It will not start. I pulled the plugs and dried it out as well as I good with an aircompresser but still no spark. Thanks.

You did not indicate if this was in salt water.

However,

Remove the plugs and spray WD-40 into the chambers. Saturate the engine with WD-40 including the carburator intakes.

Drain the carbs and pump fresh gas into the bowls with the drains open.

Check the rectifier for damage. When the engine went under the battery is still attached to the rectifier and this will immediately start to dissolve the wire leading to the rectifier and any other wire that was charged with voltage.

Dry the engine slowly and don't use excessive heat.

Alcohol helps in some cases but use with extreme care not to dissolve any laquer used for insulation.

This worked on my 60 HP so I hope this will help you.

Alternatively call up a marina, they are usually helpful to someone who is in trouble. Especially if you need parts.

Comment

Thanks for the response. This happened in fresh water. This is a pull start and is not connected to a battery. I dont know if this changes your answer.

Comment

just want to add same lew's instruction, secure spark plug lead such as wrap it with non conductor tape while you doing the procedure.

Comment

Sorry I thought it was a larger HP. Check all connections for blue encrustation indicating corrosion on copper wire and brown on iron wire. WD-40 will help and as KURAN said protect the high tension lead on your spark plug from the oil. Water can and will find a place to kill the spark and perhaps time and a warm sun will help. opefully the fresh water will have no effect and a drop of water is in a place where it can dry out and get you back boating.

Comment

Working...
          X