Need help understanding how to properly align the gear linkage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help understanding how to properly align the gear linkage

I did something stupid and that is not mark and photograph the parts before I removed them and now I am stuck because I cant seem to understand how the system is supposed to work.

My motor is a 70's Mercury 50HP 2-stroke, 4-cylinder. For some reason my S/N doesnt work on this site's lookup...

Anyway, what I did was remove the lower gear unit. My water pump was leaking like crazy, so I ordered the full rebuild kit and pulled everything apart down there. My confussion is regardin the proper alignment of the splined shifer on the lower unit and the 'reverse locking cam'.

1. I removed the 'reverse locking cam' without marking its location, so I have no idea what orientation is fits into.

2. The splined shaft on the lower unit has a MUCH greater range of motion (about 360 degrees) compared to the shifter, which moved only 45 degrees or so. I read online that I should put the gear case in nutral, however I am having trouble finding the nutral, which I assume should be between forward and reverse. My gearbox seems to be going from one right into the other without any space in between.

3. I dont understand what the 'reverse locking cam' does or how it works. It looks to me like it forces a pin upwards that travels next to the shifter rod, but I dont see what it's function it or what it does.

If you have manual tilt model then reverse cam has push up on rod to reverse lock on transom bracket, if have power trim model then cam doesn't do anything.
    When gercase is in neutral you should be able turn prop shaft in both directions without drive shaft turning.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Mercury Outboard Parts
    MerCruiser Parts
    Force Outboard Parts
    Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X