2002 115, 4 stroke Merc. water and gas in oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 115, 4 stroke Merc. water and gas in oil

I have a 2002, 115, 4 stroke, 234 hours, I bought it new, so I know it hasn't been messed with. Last year I checked the oil and it was about 1/4" over full. I just thought I just over filled it when I changed the oil. Drained some out to make it right. I used it several time since then. I got it out for spring and the oil was at least 1" over full and smelled like gas, but it was clean looking. The next day I ran it for about 10 minutes before I drained the oil. When I drained it, it was milky looking and a small amount of water ran out before the oil did. I checked with a local boat shop and they told me that the oil pan might be cracked letting water in. I took it apart and didn't see any cracks. Looked like the only place a crack would leak water would be where the water pipe goes through it. Next he (the man at the local boat shop) told me the exhaust plate gasket was leaking. Took it off and I don't see any place where the oil would be there. Done with him!!! I suspect the head gasket, but don't want to take the head off until I get some feed back from this site. I have been a mechanic for many years and worked on several boats, motorcycles, cars, trucks and lots of other things, just havent been into a boat motor this much. Any ideas???

Need to remove head and check gasket, may need to have head pressure tested for leaks.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Mercury Outboard Parts
    MerCruiser Parts
    Force Outboard Parts
    Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

I removed the head and didn't see any problems with the gasket or head. I took it to a shop and had the head preasure tested. There was no leakage. They also checked to make sure it wasn't warped, and it was fine. They also looked at the gasket and didn't see any problems. My next theory is: The seal where the water tube fits in the oil sump and seals against the adapter plate. There was some corrosion in that area, but it didn't show any signs of leakage. Has anyone else had a problem with that seal? Any other ideas? Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
      X