making oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• making oil

I have 2001 murcury 115 efi 4 stroke making oil. Every thing is running fine runs up to correct rpms 5000 - 6000.What can I do to stop this.

Thanks.
    Mark.

Need to have a compression test and leak down test run on engine to make all is ok with engine, Prop to high side of the 5000-6000 rpm range, check thermostat to see if working properly, have fuel pump and fuel system checked to see if all is ok.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Mercury Outboard Parts
    MerCruiser Parts
    Force Outboard Parts
    Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

Making oil

a compression test and leak down test run on engine to make all is ok with engine last year and everything checked out ok. This has been going on for 3 years +. I read that if you change out thermostat to higher temp. that it would allow the piston rings to seal quicker and stop gas from passing. I tried a smaller prop but it was spinning out. It will run around 5400 to 5800 some times 6000. do they make a higher temp thermostat.

Thanks.
      Mark.

Comment

I only see one thermostat listed for that engine. Check it to see if working properly.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Mercury Outboard Parts
        MerCruiser Parts
        Force Outboard Parts
        Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

oil making

Having a 4 stroke is a learning experience. I read when changeing the oil you should tilt the motor all the way up and down to get all the oil out before filling it. Something about the way the head is it holds oil and if you dont do that before you fill it you will over fill it( making oil ) and that all 4 stroke oil will smell like gas because it doesnt run hot enough to burn it off (gas vapor mixes with oil). I was going to change the thermostat and change out the sprark plugs.It has ngk lfr6a-11. I need your opinion I was think on replacing it with a hotter plug ngk lfr5a-11 to help burn off any excess gas but I dont want to hurt the motor.What temp should the motor be at. I also read that murcury released a hotter thermostat to help solve this.On this 2001Murcury model the head is really a
          Yamaha can you check there and see if they have one.

Thanks.
          Mark.

Comment

The thermostat should open at 140-160 degrees. I don't see a hotter one listed. I wouldn't use a hotter plug best to stay with factory recommended plug.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Mercury Outboard Parts
            MerCruiser Parts
            Force Outboard Parts
            Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
            X