How much Loctite 271 do I need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much Loctite 271 do I need?

Now that I am ready to order parts for my waterpump replacement on my Mercury 115HP engine, Serial number 0G039524, I am checking on my needs for Loctite 271. Boats.net has little packets #95812. It seems that there are at least a dozen locations where screws need to be secured.

Also, in the installation instructions for waterpump re-assembly, they are talking about a tool 91-13949. Do I need this tool? I plan to order the waterpump repair kit, p/n 43024A-7, and this kit does not contain that tool. I am guessing that all parts needed to replace the waterpump are included, and that the tool is not needed.

Any comments are appreciated!

Henri.

Only need a couple of drops fro each bolt.
    No tool needed to replace water pump.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Mercury Outboard Parts
    MerCruiser Parts
    Force Outboard Parts
    Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

If the nut has a nylon locking feature than Locktite is unnecessary. I believe that 271 is high strength (Red) you might want to get 242 (Blue) medium strength. You can get that stuff from your local autoparts store. Loctite also make those same products in a gel that I really like. It sticks to the parts you apply it to (as oppose to running everywhere when you over do it) and it doesn't spill all-over your tool box.

Here's another little trick for you......grease or oil the gaskets. The next time you change the impeller you'll get all giddy when you just peal the old ones away. It works great on everything except cylinder head gaskets. (You folks with the Stearn Drives use it on the bell housing gasket!) It's an extra step but put it together like your the next one to take it apart.

Comment

Working...
      X