mercury oil pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mercury oil pump

hi lads iv been told to put this messahe here to see can i get an answer, thanks
    >>--- Original Message ---<<

Message: hi, i bought a oil pump for a 2001 mercury 4 stroke outboard back in the end of 2009 which was never fitted as it didnt need it after,
    now we had some trouble with the engine mixing oil and water so while so we got a head gasket set and got it fitted , while the engine was apart the mechanic fitted the new oil pump since we had it,
    now the engine started up and within minutes locked up , the mechanic has reckons the oil pump is faulty and starved the outboard with oil and it now need a new crankshaft as the bearings on no, 2 cylinder welded themselves to the crank.
    now what i need to know from you is , could this be possible that the oil pump be faulty and if so who do we contact about this as its totaled our outboard , or is the mechanic just saying this to us, but hes saying theres no pressure from the pump.

I haven't seen any issues where new oil pump failed to pump oil, the low oil pressure warning should have come on if it wasn't pumping oil.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Mercury Outboard Parts
    MerCruiser Parts
    Force Outboard Parts
    Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
      I haven't seen any issues where new oil pump failed to pump oil, the low oil pressure warning should have come on if it wasn't pumping oil.
      Hi yes the alarm did come on after a few minutes. Then the engine locked up.

Comment

could anyone dvise what im to do here.
        should i get the pump tested then go from there
        as the engine as it is is useless .
        should i contact quicksilver about the pump.
        thanks

Comment

You can call Mercury and ask for help but if had water getting into oil then possible could be from water damage to engine and not a oil pump failure.
          Regards
          Boats.net
          Mercury Outboard Parts
          MerCruiser Parts
          Force Outboard Parts
          Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

Replace the powerhead with a remanufactured unit, and look foward. It could have been the pump was junk or installed dry and never primed or the water was a root cause. I would talk to your mechanic, I think a fair deal is to have him sell you a powerhead at retail and install it at minimal or no cost. A good dialog is the way to go, I have had stuff blow up after leaving and if it could possibly be my fault that's an approach I use, If it's clear that I screwed up than I'll stand behind it. Yelling and screaming may get the job done cheaper but good luck if there's a warranty issue and he'll just get you later on other work. If you trust him work with him and he'll look out for you in the long run.

Comment

Working...
            X