No announcement yet.

Gear case removal impossible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Henri, thank you for the positive review, I'm glad things worked out as promised. Ski

Comment

Used to be an AP/IA in my younger days now retired......

Comment

20 Years bending wrenches on aircraft myself, the boat thing was a side thing I did for beer money and it took on a life of it's own. Having that ticket was a funny reference, people thought that if I worked on planes I had to be a good mechanic. When asked why I got out of the industry I just tell them "turns out I wasn't very good at it"

Comment

Experience is important

I am generally interested in how things work, and tend to want to do technical things myself. But at the same time, I do value experience. Sometimes you are better off buying experience from a real mechanic. Without experience you can make mistakes and cause a lot of damage well exceeding the cost of buying experience. Unfortunately, at the location where I am, I have been disappointed by the local boat repair folks: I spent a lot of money, and the results were less than I expected (a failing warning module). Since then, I have fixed the warning module as well as the thermostat, an ignition problem caused by a stator, and now I am working on the replacement water pump. The only unusual item that I have to deal with is the removal of the broken off (plastic) 90 degrees angle part (pitot tube = speed sensor) in the draft shaft housing. I expect to use a stud removal tool for that.

There is an amazing amount of information on the WEB and I have used this quite a bit. But I could not find much describing the experience that was associated with my challenge. Again, thanks to Ski for his encouragement and suggestions. I do appreciate the alternate method of preventing corrosion. I will try to find that stuff.

My expertise is in electronic test instruments, and most recently for computer cabling. So, if you have a question about cat 5, 6, 7 and 8, I may be able to answer your questions.....

Thanks again to all.

Henri.

Comment

Any anti-sieze available at an auto parts store will work. I use it on everything I take apart. Especially spark plugs in aluminum heads and/or steel.

Comment

Found "Mouse Milk "

Thanks Beachcomber.

The search on the WEB found your "Mouse Milk" immediately and where I could buy it on-line. You seemed to indicate that parts store will have compatible products. I will give Reilly a chance.

Regards,

Henri.

Comment

Mouse Milk is a penetrant. PB Blaster (walmart) seems to work as good ! But try either...some things work better on various materials. the Key to all of them is soak and wait-soak and wait...overnight or even days prior knowing you will have to remove something...just my 2 cents !

Comment

Thanks for the additional tip

Beachcomer,

Thanks for the additional tip.
                  Henri.

Comment

Working...
                  X