Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 Mercury 90hp outboard knock

Hello,
    I purchased a used 1996 Merc. 90hp for my boat as I wanted to down size my engine, and fuel consumption. The guy I got the motor from, mounted the motor and we took it out for a run. It ran beautiful....EXCEPT there is an alarm that went off.... he said the wiring harness, and controls that I have if for it are for the optimax and one of the wires is probably grounding out.... the thermostat was removed for another reason (I can't recall why), but the motor ran perfectly.
    I have been out fishing three times since then and everytime the alarm has went off.... the oil tank is getting lower so it appears to be getting oil... and again it is running perfect. Yesterday I was out and the motor started making a knocking or clicking sound. It starts at approx. two thousand rpms and is very repetitive, as you speed up to four thousand rpms the knock increases in speed as well, however it is no where near two or four thousand rpms....much slower. The engine is still running perfectly, has never had a loss of power, and idles fine.....The only indication that there is a problem is the sound and the alarm. Any information or help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks,
    Kevin

Run a compression test on engine and check gearcase oil for metal or water in oil.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Mercury Outboard Parts
    MerCruiser Parts
    Force Outboard Parts
    Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X