70 HP Stator Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 70 HP Stator Replacement

I have a Mercury 70 HP 3 cylinder outboard. I checked the stator as per the manual and it checks bad. I purchased a new stator, but I think it may be the wrong one. The stator in the motor is stamped: 398-8778A16 (obsolete now from what I gather). I purchased a stator part #:398-832075A7 (Red stator and 16 amps I believe).
    When I asked the Mercury Customer Assistance which stator I needed, they responded: "If this engine has a voltage regulator installed, the part number for the stator assembly should be 832075A5. If this engine does not have a voltage regulator installed, the part number for the stator assembly should be 832075A7."

I have a rectifier on my motor but I don't see any regulator. Something doesn't seem right. Will the stator I purchased work or am I going to burn something up?

Thanks for any help...

You have correct one, it will include the 16 amp stator and regulator to replace the 9 amp system you have now.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Mercury Outboard Parts
    MerCruiser Parts
    Force Outboard Parts
    Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks so much for the response. It's the regulator that concerns me. The new stator came with a long narrow black plastic attachment, but I didn't think this was a regulator. Is that the purpose of this attachment?

Thanks again.

Comment

No that is the adapter module, should have a regulator stamped 815279-5
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Mercury Outboard Parts
        MerCruiser Parts
        Force Outboard Parts
        Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

I didn't get a regulator with the stator. If I order this regulator, are there instructions for the upgrade somewhere? This is probably my best option if its pretty straight forward.

Thanks again.

Comment

Check that you did get part number 832075A7 Red Stator kit.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Mercury Outboard Parts
            MerCruiser Parts
            Force Outboard Parts
            Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

I don't have the stator in front of me, but I remember writing down the part # on the stator I received as 832075A7, but Now that I look at my invoice, I see that what I ordered was:
              12-832075A5 : STATOR KT-3CYL16A
              Is this the same stator without the regulator, or did I really screw things up?

Comment

That is not the same stator as the 832075A7. You should verify what you have received, you need the Red Stator Kit.
                Regards
                Boats.net
                Mercury Outboard Parts
                MerCruiser Parts
                Force Outboard Parts
                Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

Ok, it will be a while before I respond as the stator is with the boat at a different location. Thanks very much for your help.

Comment

I've finally got my pieces of information together. It looks like I don't have the correct stator kit. I called boats.net to try and get the one you specified: "832075A7 Red Stator kit", but the guy on the phone couldn't find it. Can I get this kit through boats.net, or do I need to find it somewhere else? Maybe I just need to be pointed to the right place to find it.

Thanks again for your help

Comment

Call and dial 210 ext. this is the ordering department. Place order for "12-832075A7" give it to them exactly like that. Price is $516.38, the part will need to be ordered from Mercury, but is available.
                      Regards
                      Boats.net
                      Mercury Outboard Parts
                      MerCruiser Parts
                      Force Outboard Parts
                      Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

I called boats.net and was given a quote of something like $198, but the guy on the phone said that the part "832075A7" had been superseded by "832075T18". I haven't ordered anything yet, because I want to make sure I get the right thing. Not that I mind saving $300, but it just doesn't sound right. Also, I was not able to dial extension 210. When I dialed the the toll free number, option 2 gave me technical parts support (not sure if that made a difference). Anyway, if you could help me make sure I get the right part ordered, I'd really appreciate it.

Comment

They are incorrect, the 832075a7 has not been superseded and is a valid part number.
                          Regards
                          Boats.net
                          Mercury Outboard Parts
                          MerCruiser Parts
                          Force Outboard Parts
                          Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

Stator Stamped 398-8778A16 - Obsolete

Im having the same issue finding a replacement for my stamped stator 398-8778A16. Can you please advise me what part number to order because the web listing states that my part is obsolete.

1989 Mercury Marine Mercury Outboard 1070312GD Flywheel and Starter Motor Diagram and Parts

Thanks for the advice

Marty

Comment

Working...
                            X