Spark plug wire to coil installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spark plug wire to coil installation

I have a '99 Mercury 3 cylinder 2 stroke, I have been going over the whole boat since it hasn't had much maintenance over the years. Replaced and rebuilt the entire fuel system, was running very well, then I decided to change the old spark plug wires, no big deal, right? Well the wires don't exactly fit back into the coils so easily..running like crap. A friend, not the parts store mechanic, told me to try to ream a part of the center of the new wire out so it will fit over the electrode in/on the coil? Going to try it now, any more suggestions?
    Thanks

If used OEM parts they should have fit correctly, not sure what model motor you have or what parts were used.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Mercury Outboard Parts
    MerCruiser Parts
    Force Outboard Parts
    Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

Engine Model #0G875241 On a 17' Kenner Skiff. The plug wires were bought from Bass Pro Ft.Ld. OEM, they just seam to not go down into the hole all the way and stay there..my commercial fishing friend told me to maybe try reaming out the center of the wire with like my pointed end of my test light, that may help make room to seat it in all the way? The wire just seems like a tight fit from the git go, which seems like it should stay tight once I get it in there. Thanks Again

Comment

Don't remember having the wire out of those coils, look to see if coil has a screw type center post in it, if so plug wire has to be threaded onto coil.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Mercury Outboard Parts
        MerCruiser Parts
        Force Outboard Parts
        Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
        X