2006 Mercury 15hp 4 Stroke Newbie Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 Mercury 15hp 4 Stroke Newbie Questions

New to the forum and to Outboard motors (but decent shade tree mechanic) trying to get acquainted with my new-to-me boat & motor - 2006 Mercury 15hp 4 Stroke with Remote Console Steer/Throttle mounted on a Alumacraft 1542 Jon Boat.

I have already figured out that many Mercury parts for my motor have been discontinued or no longer available. Have been told that these older 4 strokes are actually Yamaha motors rebranded by Mercury, and that the Yamaha parts are much more readily available? Assuming this is the case, can I assume any and all Yamaha parts are interchangeable for my motor, or only certain components? I think I have cross referenced my model/serial # to correct Yamaha Model? - Was told boats.net tech support guy that my motor SN 1B375854 and Model 1F15203FD is a Yamaha Model F15ESH? Would love to confirm this cross reference is correct?

Other than OEM Parts, are there any good aftermarket brands that are acceptable quality - have seen Quicksilver mentioned? Are there any components that Amazon Chinese parts are ok to use?

What are the best online sources for OEM and aftermarket parts?

Immediate project is Carb rebuild or replace -
    1. My service manual tells me to get the Carb out I have to remove the whole Manifold/Carb/Silencer assembly - assume this is correct?
    2. What parts do I have to have? I think I have all the gaskets - Manifold to Power Head Gasket, Manifold to Carb 2 gaskets, O-Ring Carb to silencer? What, if any, compounds do I need to use on the gaskets - RTV silicone sealant, gasket adhesive; and for O-Ring - silicone lube? Anything else that may not be required but would be good to have on hand - parts I might damage/break?
    3. What do I need to pay special attention to or be extra careful when removing this whole assembly?
    4. What other maintenance or part replacement should I do while I have this whole assembly out of the way?

Any info greatly appreciated!

The engine is Yamaha and yes you can use Yamaha parts on the engine, Carb and ignition parts. Everything below engine is Mercury and can oloy get those parts from Mercury.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Mercury Outboard Parts
    MerCruiser Parts
    Force Outboard Parts
    Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X