2007 Mercury 60 hp 4 stroke EFI charging problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007 Mercury 60 hp 4 stroke EFI charging problems

I have a 60 hp Mercury that blows the 15 amp Smartcraft Data Bus fuse and quits charging the battery. Everything works fine till the engine is revved to about 1800 rpm, then the fuse blows. Does anyone on here know what might be causing this? Thanks

Have the voltage regulator tested to make sure it is ok. Remove devices from Smartcraft network one at a time and test run until you find the device that is shorted.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Mercury Outboard Parts
    MerCruiser Parts
    Force Outboard Parts
    Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I did have to replace the voltage regulator / rectifier twice, but the new one tests OK. I not sure what devices are on the Smartcraft network, there is nothing pluged into the data bus 10 pin control area network connector on the engine

Comment

UPDATE: I spend all day checking everything from the batteries to the stator.
        Both batteries check out ok. Checked, cleaned and tighten all grounds on the engine. Replaced voltage regulator / rectifier with an OEM unit. Replaced the aftermarket electric fuel pump with an OEM unit. Checked the stator output with DVA meter got 26 -27v at 800 rpm and about 75 v at 2000 rpm , I was told that this is within specs. It still blows the 15 amp Smartcraft Data Bus fuse and stops charging.
        I am wondering if the ignition switch or something with the throttle remote could be causing this problem.
        Any help would be greatly appreciated. THANKS

Comment

The key switch or control box should not have any affect on charging system, might do a short to ground test on stator, if it is blowing a 15 amp fuse then probably either stator, regulator or wiring is shorted to ground.
          Regards
          Boats.net
          Mercury Outboard Parts
          MerCruiser Parts
          Force Outboard Parts
          Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
          X