1999 Force 90hp No spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 Force 90hp No spark

this has been a great engine for the 8 or so years I've owned it. On a trip last fall it would not start. I replaced the spark plugs and it still would not start. Checked and their was no spark. Replaced the regulator on the suggestion of others and it did start. Took it out and into the trip it would not start. Got towed in. VERY long story short my motor has had literally every electronic part replaced, including the ignition switch trying to fix the issue. New flywheel, trigger, stator, coil packs, spark plug wires, another regulator etc.

No one in my area works on old motors so I am doing this on my own. I have followed the wires and the power going into the engine and there isn't any power getting to the coil packs. I also replaced any connections that looked bad on the motor itself.

The only thing I can think of is that there is something going on with the kill switch although those wires on the dash have also been checked.

I am at a loss. It has been 8 months now of no fishing and trying to figure this out--something I assume is probably super simple for someone who knows outboard engines--we are car engine people so we are doing the best we can.

If I connect the ignition switch and don't wire up the kill switch wire (black with yellow stripe) would that tell me if it is indeed something to do with the kill switch?

or does anyone have any suggestions? Would really like to get back on the water as my vacation week is coming up and that is the week I spend fishing each year.

Thanks!

Yes an open circuit on the black/yellow wires and engine will run, a closed circuit on black/yellow wires and engine will shut off. Just disconnect black/yellow wires from ECU and should have spark.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Mercury Outboard Parts
    MerCruiser Parts
    Force Outboard Parts
    Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X