150 xr6 drops left bank on highspeed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 150 xr6 drops left bank on highspeed

Hello I hope someone can help me out, My boat mechanic and friend recently died so I don't have him to pick his brain anymore,

I have a 1992 mercury 150 xr6 bought it because thought i was getting a deal maybe not so much now, first time took it out fired right up ran great buzzed around on water for an hour loaded up went home started stripping my old starcraft and mounting gear on new boat because it ran so good had no worries. THEN I put in water fired right up idled out of channel went to throttle up no go acted like it was missing half of it tried some things nothing worked idled back in

When I got back hooked up muffs and fired it up as i throttle up at about 1500 rpm it drops the left bank top cylinder fires intermittently bottom 2 not at all so I start testing everything trigger stator. switch boxes all of it runs great and on all 6 till it calls for high speed all test showed bad stator so to be sure I replaced stator ,trigger, switch boxes, coils and wires 2000 later still have the same problem in the spec sheet I downloaded it says if problem still exist after replacing stator to change fly wheel well I priced that and don't really want to spend another 600. anybody have an idea I did compression check all cylinders are at just 90lbs little low but not bad and besides I know its electrical the dva test confirms problem with stator cant believe I got bad stator out of box but who knows will unhook it next and ohm it just to be sure. Its really a bummer it ran so good first time out and when I bought it he said it ran then didn't and I think he had same problems I can see he worked on the same things I have and he gave up and im getting there if I wanted to idle all day I guess it wouldn't be an issue I find it hard to believe its the flywheel I have never heard of that and to be honest it looks like its brand new

Could be the high speed circuit in stator is bad, needs to tested with peak reading voltmeter to be sure or 1 of the switch boxes are bad, test ignition coil output with peak reading voltmeter and trigger coil output to switch box.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Mercury Outboard Parts
    MerCruiser Parts
    Force Outboard Parts
    Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

have done all that everything is new stator, coils, switch boxes, trigger guess you didn't read that in above text still tells me the stator is bad by all tests but its brand new and ohms out as good and for 555 dollars i sure as heck anit buying another one have 2000 in new parts and still have same problem

Comment

Just making sure you retested with peak reading voltmeter or DVA, just because it's new doesn't mean it works. Check wire harness, check continuity on each wire, check grounds and bias circuit on switch boxes..
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Mercury Outboard Parts
        MerCruiser Parts
        Force Outboard Parts
        Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks for the input did all that multiple times took a day away from it unhooked everything that it doesn't need to run, shift switch ,oil alarm, idle speed control, rectifiers once I did that it ran perfect all range started to plug each of them in got to idle speed control and *** that was the problem so it seems I have left it unhook and no issues ordered a new one so problem solved

as a note I looked at manuals you tube videos, spec sheets and no where do I find That box even mentioned as part of ignition system, so if you have one of these motors take note because from what I gather this is a weird one

Comment

Working...
          X