Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mariner 20hp advice water from Propshaft housing

Hi there,

Looking for some advice on a Mariner 20e 6a9 year approx 1983.

Bought the motor from a guy who did a garage clearance, so no little about the history. Best guess is that it had been sitting in storage for 15-20 years :-)

Plan to fit it to a Shetland 535 - Refurb project!

After some tinkering managed to get it started off an electric switch (Yamaha 704 OEM China copy i think) which was bought separately, and after rigging it up to a battery & new fuel tank/line.

I know little about outboards, but there is a little water coming from the exhaust, and also the tell tale which would suggest its pumping water ok. BUT noticed that there is also quite a strong stream coming from the inside of the prop shaft housing through 2 small holes? Video link attached.

Main question - is this normal?

Also, any advice on main things to think about checking/servicing before taking it out for the first time would be greatly appreciated :-)

From research, should I be thinking about checking/changing gearbox oil? Any seals need replacing for a motor that has been left in storage for so long? Carb cleaning etc?

Also one other question, there is a buzzer on the switch that continuously buzz’s even after the motor is running, could this just mean the switch wiring isn’t fully compatible with this motor? From what I’ve tested it’s the pink wire on the switch connecting to the pink wire through the motor loom.

Sorry for all the question, I’m a bit of a newbie to boating.

Thanks in advance!

Yes exhaust water will come lower unit drain holes and from prop. Probably would be best to change lower unit oil and clean carbs.
    Overheat alarm is only thing that activates alarm, check temp switch on engine, check wiring to buzzer.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Mercury Outboard Parts
    MerCruiser Parts
    Force Outboard Parts
    Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X