Mid 90's 25hp merc problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid 90's 25hp merc problem

Hi, I have a mid 1990's 25hp merc that recently left me stranded. It has been working great for years then the other night I was out and was at full throttle and it missed a few times. I thought "that was strange" but kept going. about 5 min later it dis the same thing then lost all power and died. it would start back up but sputter and die. Took it to my mechanic and he looked it over and tested everything he know how (older guy who works out of his garage but is very good at small outboards). He said everything works perfect (fuel, spark etc) but cannot figure out why it wont run. He rebuilt the carb 2 mo ago also. He said that he has seen 3 other very similar cases of similar year mercs that he could not figure out and either could the boat place he sent it to to try.

I was searching forums for people with similar problems but have not found the answer. Please help if you can! I am hoping that this is common issue in these and it will be an easy fix.

Thanks any suggestions would be great.

Will it idle? What is the compression on all cylinders?
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Mercury Outboard Parts
    MerCruiser Parts
    Force Outboard Parts
    Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

No it will not idle now. Will start for about 2 seconds then sputter and die. Not sure on the compression. I will ask.

Comment

What he has checked:

Carb, trigger,charge coil, spark, fuel, compression (100 each)

He said it could be the "power pack"? but not sure since he said it was a $200 part.

Comment

Found the problem

Well we found the problem to be the power head. Of course it had to be something major. Thanks for you help

Comment

Working...
          X