Cowling for a 200HP 2006 Optimax - No support from Mercury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cowling for a 200HP 2006 Optimax - No support from Mercury

I've been trying to get a replacement cowling for my 2006 Optimax since March - it is now mid-July. Everytime I contact Mercury about this they push off the date another month, I'm told that I'll get it as soon as they come in. How can this be possible - 6 months of waiting for a cowling? So there's not another 3.0 Liter cowling that Mercury can locate? So I can only assume there are zero new Optimax motors that are unsold that they could locate for me and switch the cowling?

...I've been told a few different stories now...that they're obsolete (and the labels are too)...that they've changed vendors....and they have now idea when they'll or IF they'll have them. They did give me a case of oil to make me happy...yippee, doesn't go too far with a broken cowling and poor customer service. And the cowlings are sorta pricey (not sure if anyone has ever priced one out). They said they'd paint a silver one black - not sure how you can paint silver plastic black - I'd suspect that wouldn't work out so well when it wears/scratches.

I'm pretty bummed - now the customer reps won't return my voice messages. I'm not sure how quick I'd be willing to buy another one of their products - this is my fourth Mercury motor too.

I find it hard to believe that a motor this new and at this price point could be so difficult to get critical parts for. Anyone else experiencing similar issues?

What is your serial number?
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Mercury Outboard Parts
    MerCruiser Parts
    Force Outboard Parts
    Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

1B275970 is the S/N

Comment

If it is Silver the part number is 881288t1 and is currently readily available from Mercury.

881288T 1 - TOP COWL ASSEMBLY

If it is Black, the original part is no longer available but has been replaced with 8M0059965. It does not give me an avilability.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Mercury Outboard Parts
        MerCruiser Parts
        Force Outboard Parts
        Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

I believe they've changed cowl vendors. I was told I could get a silver one and paint it black (pay an autobody shop to do so) but I really don't want to pay the additional cost and am afraid the silver would show up after getting worn or scratched. Way too expensive to roll the dice.

I may need to wait some more.....who knows how long it will take to get a black one?

On another note is 818645F 1 (cover on leg, right side) available? I cracked that last week fishing on Champlain...and guess what? This sites schematic is saying it's OBSOLETE too!!! Good grief! Where can It I get one?

Comment

Cowl

Try Marine Connection in Ft,Pierce Fl.
            They have a bunch of old covers!!!J

Comment

Follow up.....

I had a buddy that does auto body fix the broken cowling this winter looks pretty darn good and only cost 1/3 of the new replacement!

Comment

Working...
              X