Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• circa 1976 Merc (500, 50) Fuel Problems

I am new to the Forum.

I am not positive this motor is the 1976 model year, but I am sure of the serial (4418971), and the motor is circa 1976 to 1978. It is a 4 cyl. model with Merc 500 50 h.p. graphics on the cowl.

I have fuel issues. At full throttle, the motor gets fuel starved and bogs. If I pump the bulb by hand to maintain pressure, it runs beautifully wide open. I have checked through the tank, replaced the lines, bulb, and quick-connectors. I believe that the fuel pumps/diaphragms need rebuilding (Please tell me if you think this is incorrect).

I am having trouble finding the correct fuel pump diaphragm and gasket set for this motor. The motor has (2) carbs., and they are the Integral Fuel Pump Type Carburetors. I believe Boats.net part #5137 Diaphragm and Gasket Kit is the correct part, but I don't know that for sure, and I also do not know exactly what is contained in that kit. Parts for the Integral Type fuel pumps don't seem as readily as available as those for separate pumps.

Could someone help me identify the correct parts to rebuild the fuel pumps? Also, is it possible to only remove the fuel pump parts from the side of the carburetors and service them, leaving the rest of the carb. alone (I could access both fuel pumps by removing the starter motor).

Thanks in advance for any help available!

Yes 5137 is the correct diaphram kit and does sound like thats the problem,
    500, 50 Mercury Outboard 4357640 THRU 5531629 CARBURETOR ASSEMBLY Diagram and Parts
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Mercury Outboard Parts
    MerCruiser Parts
    Force Outboard Parts
    Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
      Yes 5137 is the correct diaphram kit and does sound like thats the problem
      Thanks very much for the reply boats.net, I will order those parts. Unless someone yells at me that I'm doing it wrong, I will plan on treating the rest of the carb as the fuel pump base and just pulling off the pumps leaving the carbs themselves alone...

Comment

Working...
      X