02 merc 15 hp 2 stroke problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 02 merc 15 hp 2 stroke problems

i just got this motor and ran it last week had problems idieling figured the carb and fuel filter / lines are dirty also started shooting steam out of pee hole so i killed it and rowed home .....

so took the lower water pump apart and the impeller has a hair line crack almost all the way thru it and the key that holds it in place was on the oposite side of the groove it fits in ?

ok so my main questions are

1. should the impeller fit directly into its housing or be slightly twisted into the housing mine seems bigger than the housing and has to be twisted into it to fit

2. is the key being out the groove a good sign that the groove is damaged or smoothed off

3. best place to buy a impeller and key

4. willl cleaning the carb, fuel filter,lines fix my ideling issues

update *** checked fuel filter, lines, and carb all look really clean as well as the seals on carb... could this all be related to impeller ?

Comment

Here is link to water pump parts, 2002 Mercury Marine Mercury Outboard 1006211ZD GEAR HOUSING(DRIVESHAFT)(2.00:1 GEAR RATIO) Diagram and Parts Complete water pump kit is listed at bottom of that page if need it.
      Turn drive shaft clockwise when installing pump housing down over impeller so blades will be turning correct direction in pump.
      Unless engine got extremely hot then water pump problem would not cause engine to run bad.
      Regards
      Boats.net
      Mercury Outboard Parts
      MerCruiser Parts
      Force Outboard Parts
      Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

ok ordered the impeller, key, and 2 washers the motor was running having ideling issues befor the impellor whent out .... the two coils where loose and rattleing a little thinking that could have been my ideling issue wont know untill i get it all back together. any other reasons why my motor would give me ideling issues if its not a fuel or spark issue plugs are brand new whole motor is new just got ran once and put up for over 2 years timeing wouldent be off by just sitting there would it ?

Comment

2000 Mercury 15hp 2-Stroke Carb Leak

hi i am new to this site and i dont know how to start a new thread so i assume this is the way. anyway, i have a yr 2000 15 hp 2 stroke mercury. about a month ago i have been running this motor on my 11' boston whaler and it started dying out on me while trolling. about a week after, i tried starting it up to test and i had a hard time getting it started. when i try to squeeze the ball to prime, i would see lots of gas pouring out from the top of the carb. so, i ordered me a carb kit and a seloc manual and changed all gaskets and i also bent the float arm to to get the height that the manual was asking which is 1" from the bottom of the float. i had put the carb back in place and it started up just fine for a few seconds then it would die. so, i pulled out the gas line from the motor, then fired it up and while it was running without the gas line hooked up, as soon as i hooked the gas line back it would die. It still leaks gas out of the carb when i squeez the primer bulb. does anyone know whats wrong?

Comment

Sounds like need to replace float valve, check fuel lines, ethanol will deteriorate hoses on inside.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Mercury Outboard Parts
            MerCruiser Parts
            Force Outboard Parts
            Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

2000 Mercury 15hp 2-Stroke Carb Leak

Thanks boats.net, you were right about the needle valve. i must have dropped it and didnt put it back in place, i found it on the ground were i was working on the motor. i appreciate the help and efficient response. have a nice day!

Comment

Working...
              X