70 hp 3cyl. running problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 70 hp 3cyl. running problems

I have a 70hp 3cyl. merc. and the problem I am having seems like a fuel issue but not sure. Engine idles fine and revs ok in neutral but under load it starts dieing out. I rebuilt the carbs and fuel pump. I read it could be a stator or rectifier problem as well. I have noticed the batteries are not charging very well (12.2v). Compression is great across all cylinders. I also noticed a small oil film around the upper crank seal. Maybe sucking air through seal? Any suggestions would be great.

Well air leaks can definately be a problem, as well as timing and carburetor adjustments. I recommend obtaining the service manual and verifying your adjustments. Start with idle/air mixtures, carb sync, then timing. While your at it test your stator/coils/rectifier-regulator.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Mercury Outboard Parts
    MerCruiser Parts
    Force Outboard Parts
    Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

I should also mention that it ran fine all summer and then it starting running that way all of a sudden with no change of any adjustments.

Comment

Ok, well could be ignition or fuel. When your on the lake with a load check for spark when the motor boggs. If you never loose spark then problem should be fuel related.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Mercury Outboard Parts
        MerCruiser Parts
        Force Outboard Parts
        Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
        X