Question about 4 stroke small propellers and gear cases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about 4 stroke small propellers and gear cases

I've been looking at 60hp Mercury 4 strokes for an upgrade and i've noticed the lower units are skinny and the props are very small or at least they appear to be. Now i've been running a 1999 2 stroke 60hp Mercury for 8 years and it's lower unit is big and beefy with a large prop. I swear i don't think the prop on the 2012 Merc. 4 stroke was bigger than 10" across if it was that...Why so small?

The propellers vary on the application and use of the motor. The largest diameter prop recommended for a 60hp standard Mercury is around 12.5 inches. The Bigfoot model 60hp Mercury can accept up to a 14 inch diameter. Usually the smaller diameter props have a larger pitch and the larger diameter have a smaller pitch. These are all rough estimates, but as you can see don't be too concerned with the propeller sizes.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Mercury Outboard Parts
    MerCruiser Parts
    Force Outboard Parts
    Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

Good lesson, so i won't be concerned with prop size and pitch....Still doesn't an aluminum vs. a steel prop serve better to protect the lower unit from breakage should it collide with a stump in the water?

Comment

Yes, an aluminum prop is recommended if the boat is being used in water known to have debri. The aluminum will give before destroying your lower unit (in most cases, not always).
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Mercury Outboard Parts
        MerCruiser Parts
        Force Outboard Parts
        Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
        X