Power tilt mercury 40hp 4cyl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power tilt mercury 40hp 4cyl

I have a power tilt (black cap type) that is not working and I need to remove the unit so that I can repair it. The problem that I have is that I need some help in removing the unit. Does anyone know the easiest way to remove the unit?
    Last edited by hyroman; 11-14-2011, 01:51 PM. Reason: to show problem in listing

There is no hard or easy way really. Just disconnect the electrical connections and remove the two pins that hold the unit in place. After those pins are removed the unit will drop out. (at least in theory) Actual amount of work depends on the condition of your motor and trim unit.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Mercury Outboard Parts
    MerCruiser Parts
    Force Outboard Parts
    Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

Power tilt

How do I remove the pins? Are the pins straight or tapered? The pin that holds the Hyd arm to the motor is headed and the other side is peened over how do I get this pin out?

Comment

Power tilt

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
        There is no hard or easy way really. Just disconnect the electrical connections and remove the two pins that hold the unit in place. After those pins are removed the unit will drop out. (at least in theory) Actual amount of work depends on the condition of your motor and trim unit.
        I would like to clarify my reply to your response. Each of the pins you talk about has a locking pin that prevents the main pin from backing out. These locking pins are the ones that I am talking about above. How do I get these locking pins out?

Comment

what is the serial number from your motor?
          Regards
          Boats.net
          Mercury Outboard Parts
          MerCruiser Parts
          Force Outboard Parts
          Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

Power tilt

what is the serial number from your motor?
            The s/n is 0G252509 and the power trim comt's that I am looking at per your web site is for s/n 9570790 and up black plug type.

Comment

If your trim has the straight pin on top then just drive the upper pivot pin out, this will shear the cross pin. If the upper cross pin has a head, you will need to make a tool to remove it. As for the lower cross pin, drive it up with a punch, this will allow you to remove the lower pivot pin.
              Regards
              Boats.net
              Mercury Outboard Parts
              MerCruiser Parts
              Force Outboard Parts
              Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

If your trim has the straight pin on top then just drive the upper pivot pin out, this will shear the cross pin. If the upper cross pin has a head, you will need to make a tool to remove it. As for the lower cross pin, drive it up with a punch, this will allow you to remove the lower pivot pin.
                Will a punch and hammer shear the top pin?

Comment

Yes it should shear the cross pin while you are trying to remove the pivot pin.
                  Regards
                  Boats.net
                  Mercury Outboard Parts
                  MerCruiser Parts
                  Force Outboard Parts
                  Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
                  X