Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 03' 150 Opti Oil Resevoir Alarm

All,

First time poster long time reader. I have a 03' 150 Optimax. My smartcraft alarm went off the other day saying I had 90% in my oil reserve. Kept running until I got back to the dock. It was at 81%.

Yesterday, went on down, went through the manual and filled the resevoir as directed by the manual. At first, it wasnt filling up (No oil was coming out the top). After tightening down the main oil tank cap, we were able to fill the resevoir (oil came out the top). However we restarted then engine, same problem. Took it out and the % kept dropping. I hit the master reset as a precaution, nothing. No idea what to do at this point. There is oil in the resevoir and full oil in the main tank.

A little background:

1) The resevoir assembly was replaced in late 09
    2) I am in fresh water, just brought it from Salt Water.
    3) Had the water pump/impeller and thermostats just changed prior to this happening.
    4) I called the mechanic who previously changed out the resevoir assembly, he stated that its a sensor that needs to be replaced? Is this something I can do? Im not very experienced?

Thoughts? I am at a loss on what to do at this point. Thanks for all the insight.

Further info;

model 150DFIXLDI serial # 0T906654

Comment

Does sound like the oil resevoir sensor is malfunctioning. If you are not experienced I recommend taking to an autorized mercury dealer.
      Regards
      Boats.net
      Mercury Outboard Parts
      MerCruiser Parts
      Force Outboard Parts
      Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

my question is why does the sensor keep declining showing a decrease in % even though the reservoir is full with oil? is this something that the sensor would be resonsible for?

Comment

Yes, the sensor is what tells the computer and guages how much oil is in the reservoir.
          Regards
          Boats.net
          Mercury Outboard Parts
          MerCruiser Parts
          Force Outboard Parts
          Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
          X