1989 Mercury 35hp impeller replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1989 Mercury 35hp impeller replacement

Hi everyone. I put the boat in the water last week and found it wasn't peeing when I started it up. I pulled it right out and took it home for tear down. The impeller was cracked and the impeller cup was deformed, actually bit into the driveshaft a little bit. I bought a new upper and lower impeller housing, impeller and all the fixins, going to see if I can get by without replacing the $450 driveshaft for the time being. My question to you is, the impeller seems to be much larger than the cup! There's probably an 1/8" if not more of overhang when you sit the impeller on top of the cup. That being said, is that normal? Do you have to squeeze the impeller into there and if so, which direction do you do so? Thanks!

impeller squeezeing?

I have the same question, I suspect it is proper to fit tight, but Oh Moma! She's tight as a tick. One thing Iv read is to not tork the houseing nuts too tight. I believe 25-30 FT/LBS.
    I too question weather the veins of the impeller go left or right? They may just turn either way and thats good?
    That being said Im as green as green can be at this, but having fun learning. This is a good foreum, Bilbo

Comment

yes that is normal, it does not matter which way you spin them. When you turn the motor over it will correct the fin rotation. becareful not to tear the fin when installing the cup.
      Regards
      Boats.net
      Mercury Outboard Parts
      MerCruiser Parts
      Force Outboard Parts
      Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

impeller

Thanx for the reply. Apreciate the help! Bilbo

Comment

And the impeller should be replaced annually for proper water pressure and cooling.
          If you change it like that the shaft wear wouldn't happen.
          DO NOT tighten to 25-30 Lbs Ft. You will crush the housing. Maybe 25-30 Lbs. Inch!
          If the housing is deformed from overtightening, replace it too,

Comment

Working...
          X