1976 850 willstart at home/not on creek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1976 850 willstart at home/not on creek

hi all, i have a 1976 850 85h.p.. i can get it to run great at home hooked to a water hose, but when i take it to the creek afew miles away, i can't get it to start. I thought at first is was flooding it. but after letting it set awhile, still no luck...Any ideas on such abroad problem???thanks

850 Starting Problem

I owned a similar year 135hp years ago and it would "flood" from time to time and would not start. Finally found the real problem to be ignition and not fuel related. Assuming the 850 has the same ignition system, look for a small wire leading from the trigger coil under the flywheel. That small wire can break (the insulation may still be intact but the conductor can be broken) from years of repeated flexing as the trigger coil is rotated by the throttle operation. When the break in the wire is opened by flexing the wire, say for example when you lift the start throttle lever and that action rotates the trigger coil, then no fire and no start. Since you lifted the throttle, you will swear its flooded. A new trigger coil solved the problem.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
    X