96' 225hp Won't run over 2k rpms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96' 225hp Won't run over 2k rpms

I have a 1996 Merc Off-shore 225hp Carb on my Grady. Recent problem I had was the engine won't go over 2k rpms in Forward gear. In reverse she'd shift over 4k rpms no problem. I also changed the prop to make sure that wasn't it either. Any idears?????? Also in neutral she run over 5k rpms with no problem. Thanks for any input in advanced!
    John

It's hard to say. In forward gear there is more of a load on engine so it would turn more rpm's in rev or neutral. It's probably lossing fire on 1 or more cyl. or a fuel problem.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Mercury Outboard Parts
    MerCruiser Parts
    Force Outboard Parts
    Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

Pull the hood off of the motor and check the connectors on the powerpack. Sometimes putting the hood back on can catch one of the connectors and unplug it. I have had this happen to me before and I could not get the RPM's up either.

Comment

The only real problem I have had with both my merc high hp outboards was the stator. The motor would start and run but it seams like it has 1/3 power. New stator fixed the problem. The boat shop can check it. I would not put $ into it untill you know the problem.

Comment

Working...
        X