1980 Mercury 40/ 4hp 2cly/2stroke Exhaust holes & Water pump Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1980 Mercury 40/ 4hp 2cly/2stroke Exhaust holes & Water pump Question

I have a 1980 Mercury 40 4hp 2stroke outboard motor. It runs fine but I am wondering if water from the pump in the lower unit should be coming out of the 8 small holes that are up higher on either side of the lower unit where the exhaust comes out of? I'm trying to find out if there's suppose to be a "pee hole" or if the water is just expelled from the center of the prop or if these 8 holes are the "pee hole"/exhuast outlet. When I run it at a low speed no water comes out to the 8 holes but when I run it wide open throttle some water lightly sprays out of the holes along with exhaust. Is this all right or should a steady stream be coming out of these 8 holes? I have taken the lower unit apart and the impeller seems fine, the tube is clean and isn't clogged and the motor doesn't seem to overheat at all. I am just more worried that it might over heat if the water pump isnt working correctly. Also, there is no obvious "pee hole" anywhere else on the motor. Any knowledge on this matter is much appreciated.
Working...
X