1983 115hp stalling when put in gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1983 115hp stalling when put in gear

My engine is a 1983 1115T Serial 6351869, I have owned since new. I mix the oil with the gas on this old inline 6. It has the electronic Ignition.

It starts like it always has, will idle, wrap up, sounds great in the driveway, drop in the lake, put it in gear try to accelerate, it dies, it will start right back up, it will run (poorly) in gear on the idle jets. Sounds like its flooding or in a bind.

Each year I siphon out the gas tank, replace all the gas with new premium gas, it is the ethanol blend, it has run great for years on the blended gas. There is a water separator gas filter, checked it. The bulb is new and holds pressure. Rebuild the carbs yet again, blew cleaner thru all the ports, reset the levers to spec for the floats, seem to be good, no excess gas coming out of carbs. Pulled the fuel pump apart to make sure the diaphragm was OK, I just rebuilt it last year, all seemed OK. It has spark on all the plugs, the have not been checked them while running. I also replaced the water pump this year and the oil in the lower unit, I can turn the propeller with it in gear does seem to bind at all, just a tiny amount of shavings on the plug magnet. I removed the idle stabilizer unit, seemed to run even better in the driveway, but still died when put in gear on the water. The Stator, Power Packs and Wiring Harness were replaced about 7 or 8 years ago, but not the coils or plug wires. Yesterday I purchased a cheap compression check tool, all cylinders have about the exact same pressure. The boat is always stored in my garage so very little condensation issues, always used in fresh water.

Under the recommendation of my local Mercury dealer, that will not work on boats this old, and from what I have found so far no one around here will. I have the intake covers off and just ordered the bleed restrictors, all but one are gone.

Not sure if replacing the bleed restrictors will do the trick, is there any thing else I might look at??
Working...
X