Merc 50 Big Foot alarm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merc 50 Big Foot alarm

We have a 50 HP Bigfoot 2001. Ser # 0T199562. When we brought it home from the ramp a few weeks back all seemed fine. Then a couple weeks back we were going to take it out for an evening cruise. Not 10 min out from the dock, still at low speed, an alarm started. high pitch, constant. Shut it down for a few then restarted. no alarm for a couple minutes then it returned. By now the cruise plan is over and we slowly returned to the dock. Only have had this boat/motor for a year so I dont know about its service record.

A closer inslection at the dock suggests she is hot. Pulled thermostat, very much incrusted. Tride to run no thermostat and alarm returned. Disconnected blue wire from tem sending unit, alarm still sounds.

Replaced water pump, kit # 43024A7 and thermost. starte up on trailer with the ear muffs on. Good water flow. idled for a little then put in gear. 2 min later we have an alarm. Now waterr from pee hole is VERY hot. prior to new pump water from pee hole was cool.

I am fearfull thinking it is the seal between the water tube and the power head. Have heard of then swelling and pinching off water supply. Before I start lifting the power head I thought I would ask for suggestions.

Thanks

Bill
Working...
X